Fire in Brandon caused by electric water heater

1 min read

BRANDON — A Wallingford woman’s home was destroyed in a fire on Sunday evening.

The fire took place at a residence on Wheeler Road, in Brandon.

The home was owned by Sandy Cram, and the building was lived in by her son Eugene Cram, police said.

Police say Cram was outside working when he came back to the residence at approximately 7:45 p.m.

When he was walking up the ramp to the home, he saw fire through a window..

He told authorities he found the fire was coming from an area that housed the electric water heater.

He attempted to extinguish the fire with a fire extinguisher, and managed to get out of the house with his dogs and called 911.

Police say the Brandon Fire Department arrived on the scene shortly after 8:00 p.m., and found heavy smoke conditions to the point that the house could not be seen from the road.

Despite efforts from local responders the building is still standing but is considered a total loss.

Fire investigators say it’s been determined that the fire originated in the closet that housed the water heater which is listed as accidental and is not considered suspicious.

Police say nobody was injured as a result of the fire.