Waitsfield fire caused by insulation in contact with chimney pipe

1 min read

WAITSFIELD — Investigators say a fire that broke out at a home in Westfield on Friday was caused by insulation touching a chimney pipe.

The fire took place at 1719 Common Road at around 2:30 p.m.

Waitsfield firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the blaze and save a majority of the house.

Waitsfield Fire Chief Tripp Johnson contacted investigators to determine the origin and cause of the fire.

The origin of the fire was determined to be in a void space on the first floor where a double-wall chimney pipe from the wood stove entered the wall.

Although the pipe was intact and functioning properly, it appears recently blown-in cellulose insulation fell against the pipe and caught fire while the woodstove was in use.

This void space provided a “chase,” which allowed the fire to burn upwards into the second floor and attic space.

Police say nobody was injured during the incident.

The home sustained moderate damage from the fire, smoke, and water, but is still considered habitable.